Oksana Savenko, PhD
Zhytomyr Ivan Franko State University (Ukraine)
Publication type: research article
Publication language: Ukrainian
The article deals with some of the sermons of a Ukrainian writer, preacher, and cultural figure, Ioаnikii Galytovsky, as characteristic Baroque works. The sermon belongs to traditional genres of ancient Ukrainian literature with a set of predominantly medieval style topoi and stereotypes. However, in Galytovsky’s creative practice, the transformation of the genre under the influence of Baroque is noticeable. Belonging to this style has provided not only a change of narrative strategy but above all of stylistic means. Galytovsky creates distinctive allegories, symbols, comparisons, and antitheses which characterise his Baroque style. He resorted to characteristic Baroque amplifications and emblematic images. The writer was able to revive the old form of traditional sermon with the Baroque stylistic technique, as a result of which he managed to dramatise the gospel plots, thus being able to exert the expected impact on recipients with the help of a suggestion.
Key words: sermon, Baroque, allegory, symbol, antithesis, style, gospel plots
- Bida K., Ioanykii Haliatovskyi i yoho «Kliuch Rozumћniia», Rym 1975 (tut vidtvoreno tekst vydannia 1659 roku).
- Haliatovskyi I., Kliuch rozumћniia, Druk Kyievo-Pecherskoi Lavry, Kyiv 1659.
- Isichenko I., Istoriia ukrainskoi literatury: epokha Baroko (XVII–XVIII st.), Sviatohorets, Lviv 2011.
- Kostomarov N., Russkaia istoryia v zhyzneopysanyiakh ee hlavneishykh deiatelei, Sankt-Peterburh 1874.
- Krekoten V., Vybrani pratsi, Oberehy, Kyiv 1999.
- Sumtsov N.F., Yoannykyi Haliatovskyi (K ystoryy yuzhno-russkoi lyteratury XVII v.), Kyiv 1884.
- Yakovenko N., U poshukakh novoho neba. Zhyttia i teksty Yoanykiia Haliatovskoho, Krytyka, Kyiv 2017.